Thursday, September 6, 2012

Take two helpings of salmon and call me in the morning...

Alrighty,  had an appointment for a check-up yesterday.  I hadn't been to the doctor  in a while and had a few things that needed addressing.

At this check-up they took blood to check my glucose levels, liver, kidneys, and cholesterol.

Today I got a phone call with the results of said testing and apparently my cholesterol is a smidge high.  Now, when I think of people with high cholesterol, I think of big fat fatties eating fried foods and dipping them in butter.  If you know me you know that I am a size two and I eat relatively healthy foods. I do not fit your typical profile of someone with high cholesterol.

I've made it a point to watch carbs to avoid blood sugar problems and a fat belly.

I like to eat fresh fruits and vegetables all the time.

But, I have always had a love of butter.  And a weakness for fried goodies. And I've grown up with gravy and biscuts being a staple.  I thought I did a good job of eating those things in moderation, but it's time to pay a little more attention.

My curiosity was sparked and I've been doing some internet research.  Here's what I know about cholesterol:
  • Bad carries fatty stuff from your liver to your blood.
  • Good cholesterol carries fatty stuff from your blood to your liver to get rid of it
What's the difference?
  • Bad cholesterol comes from saturated fats
  • Good cholesterol comes from foods rich in Omega 3s like salmon, tuna, nuts, olive oil, etc.
Somehow fiber plays into getting rid of the bad stuff too. And if you get too much of the bad stuff it can clog up arteries leading to heart problems.

While mine wasn't bad, it was only borderline high, I want to catch it before it has a chance to get bad.

Here's my plan of attack:

  • Fried foods - Once a month.
  •  Read packaging on labels to check for saturated fats.  Apparently the box of off-brand cheezits in front of me has 2 grams per serving.  See ya!  No more of those apparently...
  • Butter.... what to do about butter....?? I don't know.  I love the stuff.
  • Red meats.... taking this portion from 2 times a week to maybe twice a month
That's just the beginning.  I want to learn more.

Here's my call to action to you though, go get a check-up!  If I can have this problem, so can any of you!  Don't wait until you are old and need a quadruple bypass.  Take care of it now.  Adults over 20 should have this checked once every five years, according to the websites I've visited.

Here are some resources:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/9152.php

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/slideshow_pictures_cholesterol_levels/article_em.htm

Educate yourselves :)

-Miss Land





1 comment:

  1. My 10 year old had borderline high cholesterol last year and he is fit and trim as well...we put him on several supplements from Advocare and his dropped 19 points at the last checkup! Their Omegaplex is awesome...only one of two that Dr.Oz recommends! You can check it out www.advocare.com/110514539 . :)

    ReplyDelete