Saturday, February 26, 2011

Settling in...

I've been at this job now for about a month now and I'm finally getting settled in. I"m getting back in the swing of being up at 6:30. I'm getting used to packing my lunch in the mornings. And I'm starting to really get to know the people that I work with all day long and the children that I work with all day.

I've gotten chances to sit down and talk with most of the teachers whose classrooms I go into and they are all wonderful ladies. They are all super patient with my kids, and the rest of the students in the class. They are very flexible when accommodations need to be made for my kids, and they want to see these children succeed. They are constantly thinking of new ways to reach the students on a level that they will understand. These women really deserve some recognition. This is one of my first experiences in middle school, and it is HARD! Middle schoolers are not interested in anything but their social lives. And they never stop talking. These teachers have to have a serious a heart for their students. Middle school is definitely something you need to be called to teach.

I've also gotten to know a few of the students that I am not working with, but that have taken time to be nice to my kids and help them out and try to get to know them. These students absolutely melt my heart. One little boy is in the sixth grade and always asks how my day is going and how I'm liking my job there. I talked to another teacher about him and, apparently, he wants to be a special education teacher when he grows up. He already knows that he has been called to do this and he is probably the sweetest little boy that I have ever met. Then there are the students in P.E. class (my most challenging task of the day). So many of them are always trying to help my kids understand what they are supposed to be doing and they show a great deal of patience. If I were in middle school, and this kid was beside me making crazy noises and flailing his arms all over the place, I would probably try to move. Not these kids though, they help as much as they can.

I've also learned now what to expect from my students. I know what things are okay for them to do, what I should let slide and what I shouldn't. I know what they enjoy doing. I know how to get answers out of them in class. And I look forward to seeing my little friends every day. At first, I was just reporting to work everyday. Now I'm excited to see these little fellas! It's so rewarding when I see these guys work hard and put forth their best efforts. They would totally let me do all of their work for them if I would do it. Honestly, this job would be so much easier if I would just do a lot of things for them. But these kids are capable of so much more than most people give them credit for. They are used to having things done for them. But they are now starting to learn that they've got to step it up if Miss Land is around. I am enjoying watching them grow a little bit more independent as the weeks go by.

I'll leave you with an inspiring quote that I found online:

"Exceptional human beings must be given exceptional educational treatment, treatment which takes into account their special difficulties. Further, we can show that despite abnormality, human beings can fulfill their social role within
the community, especially if they find understanding, love and guidance.”
-Hans Asperger


Have a wonderful weekend, everyone!
- Miss Land

No comments:

Post a Comment