Monday, March 28, 2011

LIFE101

So I like to type this blog so that I can document my goofy transition into being an adult. And I mean goofy. There should be a class in college called LIFE101. You should be taught to balance your checkbook, budget, fix a broken toilet, change the dryer lint thingy regularly. In this class there would be a vocabulary list that must be mastered before passing. The list would include words like: mortgage, mutual fund, 401k, and all of the other words that I act like I know in conversation and then Google when I get home. Maybe all of these seem like common knowledge to you grown-ups out there but I'm clueless.

I wrote all that to tell you about my latest grown-up goof. It has been three months since I graduated, and I just now got some of my thank you notes addressed and stamped to send out. SHAME ON ME. My Nana would give me a swift kick in the butt for this one. Mind you, I wrote all of them THE NEXT WEEK after graduating. That was the hard part and for some reason I put off the easy part (addressing and stamping) until just now. If there is a grown-up of the year award out there somewhere, I will not be receiving it this year.

Oh well, add it to the list!

And here's the list:

*Signing up for a Target credit card and then forgetting to pay it off. A $100 debt turned into a $200 debt real quick. Lesson learned.

*Letting a $1000 check expire. (Don't worry, I got another one sent) Lesson learned.

*Arguing over a thermostat by jacking the heat way up. Expensive bill. Lesson learned.

*Sending a rent check without a signature (accidentally). Twice. Nearly evicted. Lesson Learned.

*Driving too fast as a teenager and rolled a vehicle. Lesson learned.

*Blew off my best friend for a boy. We didn't speak for a year, and it was miserable. Lesson learned.

*Being at odds with my Grandad in Oklahoma at the time he passed away. Didn't get to say goodbye. Lesson learned.

I don't know about you guys, but I am so far from perfect. Thank the Lord for having mercy on me and leading me through these lessons, the ones that are funny to look back on, and the ones that hurt to think about.

To tie this into my teaching theme, I look forward to watching generations of sweet children learn their lessons. Not so much math, science, social studies, and english. More so, the things that matter. How to be a responsible future-adult, how to make friends and keep them, how to show love to others, and how to love a Holy God. Yeah, yeah, I know I'm not allowed to talk about Him in school, but actions speak far louder than words and I want to be a guiding light.

-Miss Land

No comments:

Post a Comment