Monday, January 31, 2011

My First Day at My Temporary Big-Girl Job!!

So... I know you're all dying to know how my first day went, and I'm dying to tell you! It was AWESOME! The special education teacher that I am working with is amazing and the students I am working with are so much fun. They are all students with autism, and though I have little experience working with children with special needs, this is an awesome chance to build a stronger foundation to start the ol' teaching career on.

Basically, my job is to go to class with a few certain students throughout the day and keep those students on task, and make sure that they are performing to the best of their ability. And these kids are quite able to do anything that any other kid can do, they just need a little more guidance at times.

So anyways, Here's a little overview of my day:

1. Get to school and go to P.E. with two of my students. Make sure they're paying attention and help them with the exercises, if needed.

2. Go with another student to Math class. Make sure the student is paying attention, and following along, taking notes, working problems.

3. Next comes Social Studies class, where I have three students. And they are a handful! Today, they were taking a quiz on some material I had never seen in my life (Ancient Chinese Imperials, anyone??), and I was supposed to help. EEK! I did the best I could with that one.

4. Science with the same three kiddos. These three guys rock at science!

5. Social Skills class, back in the special education classroom. This was a hoot! We talked about what touches are ok, and which ones are not. These guys are hilarious! Some questions are "Is it okay to hug your mom?", "Is it okay to shake a strangers hand?", etc. So one of the kids makes a joke and asks if it is okay to "shake your girlfriend's booty?" hahaha it was all I could do not to crack up.

6. Last is English with one sweet little guy. He seems to do really well in that class and didn't need too much assistance, other than staying on task.


Now, I am sitting on my couch watching GREEK and eating my nightly pomegranate popsicle, after forcing myself through my workout... didn't make it the whole hour, but 30 minutes are better than none!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like so much fun! There should never be a dull day in that job! Each day will be different and have it's own laughs. By the way....did you tell the little guy he could shake his girlfriends booty? Ha. So proud of you and loving this blog so I can keep up with your adventures. Love you much!

    ReplyDelete