Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Teach Me Tuesdays!

Anyone else wondering what in the world "Race to the Top" actually is?  I've heard it a million times in college classes and inside schools, and normally I just nod my head and say "yeah... uh-huh... oh, I know, right?"  Truth be told, I do not have a clue.  I'm sure my professors are shaking their heads if they are reading this.  Soooooo let's learn something, readers!

I found these websites:
http://www.edutopia.org/blog/race-to-the-top-impact-on-students
http://www2.ed.gov/news/pressreleases/2010/03/03292010.html

Here is what I have gathered about Race to the Top in Layman's terms:

1.  It's an Obama thing.
2.  States compete for money for their schools.
3.  TN won $500 million to reform its schools.
4.  It's the whole reason that I keep hearing "merit based pay" (paying teachers based on students' test scores) is going to happen in TN.

Those are the basics.  America wants smarter kids in order to compete with other countries who whip our tails educationally. So here's to inspiring every single student out there to make straight A's, save the world, find a cure for cancer, and (most importantly) ace the TCAPS!

No comments:

Post a Comment